
We met this sculpture over the weekend at the De Young museum in San Francisco. Shaun and the girls and I were picnicking around Golden Gate park and found this happy spot directly in front of the sculpture. Actually, I saw the sculpture and chose the spot. Shaun came up later and commented, "of course my wife chooses to sit directly in front of the vagina." Which I did. And not only did I get to enjoy the artwork, but I was able to watch a slow but steady progression of children (including my own) who walked up to the sculpture, felt the vagina hole, and then climbed inside. One little boy, about four years old, sat for a moment in the vagina. Then a big smile came over his face and he exclaimed to no one in particular, "I love it in here!"
I wondered if the artist intended or expected this to occur, and if, perhaps, the artist ever spent time with his or her vagina, watching the public response.
3 comments:
I probably should not mention this, but I believe I exclaimed - word for word - what that boy exclaimed upon entering - forget it. I think my initial instinct was correct. Don't mention it.
Jonathan, you shouldn't be embarassed about your attraction to the sculpture. Apparently, it's completely normal. When were you in Golden Gate Park?
Good save.
Post a Comment